Lionel Messi forced to remain at Barcelona due to President Bartomeu
After a long 10 days of speculation, Lionel Messi has announced he will not be leaving Barcelona. However, his problems are far from over and had he been given the choice he would definitely be walking out.
More from Everything Barca
- 5 defenders Barcelona should target in the 2021 summer transfer window
- French midfielder eager to join Barcelona in the summer transfer window
- Barcelona look to secure Paris Saint-Germain defender for free
- Barcelona youngster admits lacking confidence amid constant expectations
- Barcelona boss eager for the return of Sergi Roberto
After spending 2 decades with the club and remaining unwaveringly loyal to Barca, he was threatened with legal action if he chose to leave as according to the club, he should have given notice before the 10th of June. Thus, unwilling to go to court against the club he so dearly loves, he is forced to remain at Camp Nou.
However, that did not stop the Argentine maestro from being brutally honest and slamming Josep Maria Bartomeu in a candid interview with Goal on Friday. He stated on multiple occasions that Bartomeu always gave him the choice at the end of every season to choose to leave or stay on, but the moment he actually decided to leave, the president hindered his plans and went back on his word.
“I thought and was sure that I was free to leave, the president always said that at the end of the season I could decide if I stayed or not.”