Barcelona secure Brazilian wonderkid from São Paulo FC

Dani Alves #10 of Sao Paulo celebrates with his teammates (Photo by Alexandre Schneider/Getty Images)
Dani Alves #10 of Sao Paulo celebrates with his teammates (Photo by Alexandre Schneider/Getty Images) /

Barcelona will finalize a move during the summer transfer window for São Paulo starlet, Gustavo Maia, after securing the youngster with an official purchase bid.

AS reports that Barcelona have paid $1.1 million to secure Sao Paulo’s highly regarded prospect, Gustavo Maia, and will pay an additional $3.5 million before the closure of the upcoming summer transfer window to obtain 70% of the player’s rights.

More from Everything Barca

Sao Paulo’s executive manager, Alexandre Pássaro, confirmed on ESPN Brazil that Barca have activated the 19-year-old’s purchase option by paying $1.1mn and will have to pay the remainder of the fee by June 30 to finalize the deal along with 70% of the striker’s economic rights. The remainder of the rights (30%) will remain with the Brazilian club.

"“We sell the purchase option for five million reais [one million euros], so that Barca can buy Gustavo Maia in the middle of the season, in case they want to finalize, it has a fixed value of 25 million reais, about 4.5 million euros.” Alexandre explained“It has no reflection on the club, it is more one of those modalities in which we seek to try to get money without necessarily losing the player at that moment.” the manager added"

Blaugrana had to pay the fee last Wednesday, but due to delays caused by the different restructuring of the payment involving UEFA, the Brazilian club will have to remain patient.

Maia has yet to make a first-team appearance but has been impressive so far in his endeavors with Sao Paulo’s youth sides, along with Brazil’s U16 and U17 squads. He is under contract with the Brazilian club until June 2022.

Next. Chelsea plans to hijack Barcelona target with massive offer. dark

Would Gustavo Maia be a good fit for Barca?